3.3.16

Let's talk about life not in list form!  Actually, it's been pretty uneventful.  I'm in school which you all know since that's mostly what I talk about on the blog.  Either that or the cat or Boston.  Let's start with Sweaty, Ya Boy.  Here is a photo of him from the end of January after giving him a sink bath since he somehow got flea dander in his fur.  The vet recommended a bath in Dawn detergent because, for some reason, Dawn soap has something magic going on in it that other dish soaps are lacking.  I felt so bad buying it since it isn't cruelty free and I vowed last year to only buy products not tested on animals.  Ugh.  Such a hypocrite!  Here is my baby boy looking like he has mange...



























He is much bigger now.  Sweaty likes to curl up on the nightstand to sleep, and he's nearly spilling over.  I'd like to buy him one of those crazy looking felt cat caves, but shipping costs from Europe and wait time makes me hesitate.  Maybe this means I should learn how to felt things myself.  Or perhaps I should get on up to Cambridge and buy enough fabric to make him a giant cat pillow bed thing that doesn't look ugly like most pet beds.  I bet if I did that, he wouldn't give it a second glance. Actually, he surprises me in that (I know, I know, I say this all the time) he is not at all cat-like.  Sweaty is so affectionate and playful and plays fetch and never gets annoyed when you smother him with love.  I've yet to be bit or scratched except for when it's bedtime, and he suddenly gets in psycho kitty mode and claws at my feet, so that I will play.  That doesn't count.

The only thing that I am not enjoying about cat motherhood is that he makes so many messes.  With the litter, his toys, and with my personal stuff!  I caught myself yelling at him the other day, "this is why we can't have nice things!"  Just like my mother used to say.  It just slipped out.  But, I don't think it is fair that I cannot have a vase of dried roses on my windowsill without him chewing on the petals, or that I have to rearrange my perfume bottles on my dresser since he's discovered that it's fun to move those around with his paws.  I just want a nice home!  A clean, well-organized, minimally decorated home!  And his crap is making this hard to achieve!

But I love him.  He's got huge round eyes, and a smooshy-like snout that isn't too smooshy like a Persian, and his personality rocks my world.  I loved my childhood cat, Cleo, so very much for all her 19 years, but she was such a cat.  Such a snotty little bitch.  I could touch her for maybe five seconds before she'd bite or scratch.  And most cats are like that with me. I was hesitant to get a cat initially because of this.  Because I wanted an animal to crave my affection and attention, and cats do not particularly enjoy this sort of thing which is why I was holding out.  Circumstances prevented a dog here in Boston, but I had been reading that Scottish Folds are more like dogs than cats.  I worried when I got him that he would be an exception, but nope!  He is my tiny, shedding, indoor puppy dog.




































Last night Carlos and I went to the Celtics/Blazers game that ended up being blow out which was surprising as Lillard was in attack mode for the first half, and Portland had a significant lead.  Blah blah blah.  But Carlos told me that the Blazers had played four straight games, and so the loss was not surprising.  At least it wasn't Detroit.  I've been saying it since 2004, but I think next year will be Detroit's year, although both the Celtics and the Blazers have pretty up-and-coming rosters right now.  So young, so hopeful.  I just wish Portland would get rid of that Bieber wannabe Meyers Leonard.  Fool pretty much lost the game for them last night.

What else? what else?  I've been playing a lot of video games up in Somerville which is a nice escape for me, a nice Melissa-time thing.  And I get to talk about Pokemon a lot.  It's kind of like I'm on vacation when I go up there because it's a good 45+ minute public transportation commute (I promised myself no uber for at least a month cause that shit adds up, and I do get a whole lot of reading done on the train).  So yeah, it feels like I went out of town for the weekend or something, and then I come back to Allston/Brighton/Brookline and feel refreshed and ready to go.  It's good for my sanity.  I suppose I could be making art and/or reading instead of zoning out to video games, but if it makes me feel motivated afterward and satisfies my me-time quota, then I guess it can't be all bad, can it?

I found a legit brick and mortar fabric shop which also does pints and crafting every week, so that should satisfy the Melissa-time need too.  So Portland.

I was a guest on Ari, Nardine, and Carlos's podcast last week.  We did Melrose Place, and while I loved getting to be on (I've always wanted to be on a comedy podcast), it would have been better had I had my own mic.  I'd think of something funny to say, and in the time it took to get the mic from Carlos, I'd hesitate and refrain from telling the joke thinking the right moment had passed.  Maybe next time.

Okay I am going to sew now.  Bye.  

No comments: